Sunday, February 26, 2006

*Rant Warning*

Am I the only one who finds modern Amercan pop "culture" disappointing at best?

What is it that's interesting about a culture that celebrates the degradation of women and the animalistic impulses of men? Seems the only "talent" required for fame these days is a willingness to be as pathetic, disgusting or offensive as possible. The show "The Soup" really brings that home. This show has an utterly bottomless well of material shamelessly provided by the "entertainment" industry. Don't get me wrong; I find the show quite hilarious, and that bothers me a little.

Then there's the whole "hip hop" thing. These people seem to have no respect for anything or anyone; least of all women. I know that my parents were every bit as horrified by rock & roll when I was a kid, but I really think things have reached a new low. The everyday use of the B word by almost everyone is an example of what I'm talking about. Why? Why do people use that word to describe women? Where is the respect? Does anyone even know what that word means anymore?

Well, I guess that's my random ramble for the day. We now return you to our regularly scheduled crap.

6 Comments:

Blogger Alexandra said...

This is one of the many reasons I love and honor who you are.

I wholeheartedly concur, too, and hope that this aspect of hip hop finds its way out the door sooner rather than later.

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose this just reinforces one of the reasons I don't watch much tv, aside from watching a few things on the Discovery, History, TLC or HGTV.

It might be called "entertainment" but it's not entertaining to me.

1:46 PM  
Blogger bhd said...

Bitch? Golly, that word was hard to say when I was a dog breeder.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

We seem to be living in a culture where many people are not interested in spending the time and emergy that it takes to EARN respect.

So disrespect flows now freely and abundantly and appears to earn one lots of money which, in turn, garners one the NEW & IMPROVED version of respect - 5 minutes on MTV every hour and lots of commercials for products that wanna ride the current coattails.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (find out what it means to me)

4:17 PM  
Blogger newwavegurly said...

I guess it really depends on what it is that you take the time to watch, listen to, read, etc.

I agree, there is a ton of CRAP out there. I can't stand the whole "reality tv" craze that's been going on for a couple of years now. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I remember when MTV actually played videos! I don't remember the last time I actually tuned my television to MTV (or Vh1 for that matter).

As for hip hop... again, there's a lot of crap out there, but there are also some talented artists out there. The ones that truly have talent are the ones that will survive the long term.

7:31 AM  
Blogger An Urban Femme said...

Humans have been ridiculous since the dawn of time. It's endearing.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home