Wednesday, January 03, 2007

An age. Maybe two.

That's how long it's been since I've felt this good.

The divorce is now in the hands of lawyers. The plan (I thought) had been for what is known in this state as an "uncontested" divorce. Husband and wife agree upon who gets what and hire a single lawyer to file the required paperwork; cheap, simple. Unfortunately, S seems to have let someone convince her that she needed her own lawyer. Once she hired one, I had to.

All this means is that the end result will be the same, but will take a bit longer to arrive at and will cost a whole lot more than it should have. Oh well; bump in the road, nothing more. I cannot be bothered, really.

I can't be bothered because with each passing day I am more and more certain that this was the right thing to do. When I rise in the morning, I am happy; glad and grateful for another day, truly. I have not felt this way in many years.

I didn't get married to get divorced; but right now I know it was the right thing to do. I'm not who I was twenty five years ago. I've grown and learned and become someone I could never have imagined back then. I could regret the mistakes I've made (I have done that) or I can choose to learn from them and go on with my life; made better by the experience. I choose to look forward, not back. My past is a story now, no longer my life.

3 Comments:

Blogger bhd said...

Regrets? I have a few. They come up from time to time but no longer have any power over me.

You're not the man you were 25 years ago. Hell! You're not the man you were one year ago!

Onward!

11:55 PM  
Blogger rebecca said...

man, do i know the feeling. when i left my first marriage...and things were finally underway, i had that same feeling. of being at home in my own skin and being happy, again.

i didn't get married to get divorced either. no one does.

now, your life is a story just being written.

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regret is retroactive attachment...you are moving in the right direction, my dear friend....

(Exit2Eden)

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home