Monday, February 05, 2007

*RANT WARNING*

There is just WAY too much tolerance of misogyny in our society.

I'm sick of it.

I've ranted about this before here, and I may do it again. In fact, I may make it my mission in life to eliminate usage of several words in reference to human females. I'm sick of it. Did I mention I was sick of it?

There is no excuse for it. I'm not gonna say "I'm sorry" for complaining about this - I'M NOT. I'm sick of it. It's NOT funny, it's NOT endearing it's NOT acceptable behavior. Yes, I am being intolerant! Intolerant of disrespect and insult, you betcha.

Civilized society requires some decorum, some standards of behavior. Widespread acceptance of misogynistic language, in my not at all humble opinion, does not represent any sort of decorum or standard that can be characterized as civilized. It's disgusting, demeaning and hurtful. Acceptance of it is so bad that even women participate in it. Sad, just truly sad.

I've come a long way in terms of tolerance in the past few years. I accept a lot of people and behaviors and I once found unacceptable; and I think I'm a better person for it. There are some things, however, that I will never accept - and this is one of them. I will never accept disrespect toward those who are, by far, the better part of the human species. It's wrong. PERIOD.

end of rant.

5 Comments:

Blogger winter said...

I'm against misogyny, too. Not sure what exactly has set you off here, but I probably agree.

Although I'm not sure I'd call them the better half of the species. Prettier, sure - but that's my biased opinion.

8:51 AM  
Blogger CindyDianne said...

I believe that words are power. Therefore, I do not buy into "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Words do hurt. Words do demoralize. There is intent and meaning behind the words that people spew and care should be taken.

Sadly, people guilty of misogyny don't care about the impact of their words.

10:23 AM  
Blogger rebecca said...

i'm getting sick of plain old ignorance. that goes with misogyny.

i'm with you.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Triskele said...

um....where have you been all my life?

even my ex fiance, who claimed to love me, called me a bitch.

my ex husband called me a whore, because that was what he had to do in order to save himself from taking any responsibility for anything.

yes, words do hurt.

as do beliefs based on ignorance, lies, and cultural conditioning.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

hallelujah! you know, I never slandered a man until he deserved it by actions towards me. And even then I find it difficult to be cruel.

that goes for the world in general. I am with rebecca on the ignorance thing. that would be my biggest complaint.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home